East River Folk Society is also an active
member in the local community, helping to support various charities across
the Downriver Detroit area, by appearing at or staging special events
and donating proceeds to those causes:
Various visits to local nursing homes and hospitals.
• A benefit show helped raise money for a shelter
for battered women.
• ERFS members performed for visitors to the Monroe
Animal Shelter during the "Adopt-A-Pet" weekend (May 1996).
• A benefit for the Trenton Theater resulted in a
donation of over $2,200 from the Society to the theater operating fund,
ERFS members performed at the Fairview Open House in Monroe
for the elderly, disabled and homeless.
• A benefit at the Copeland Recreation Center in
Wyandotte raised $250 for the Wyandotte Animal Group (November 1997).
• ERFS members performed at Flat Rock Riverfest (September
• A benefit at the St. James Episcopal Church on
Grosse Ile for the Taylor Animal Group (November 1998).
• A benefit held at the St. Mary's Center in Monroe
for the Ron Kern family (January 1999).
• A benefit held at the Trenton Theatre for the Trenton
Food Pantry (March 1999).
• ERFS members performed at Munson Park in Monroe
for the March of Dimes' "Relay For Life" event (May 1999).
• A dinner show at Flat Rock's Community Lutheran
Church benefits the Helping Hands Food Bank (December 1999).
• ERFS Christmas concert at the Trenton Theatre collected
toys for children at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital (December 1999).
• ERFS members performed at a benefit fundraiser
held at the Woodhaven Moose, which raised over $7,500 for a youth heart
transplant patient (January 2002).
ERFS members performed at the Monroe Center in Monroe as
part of a benefit for a local senior citizens program (April 2002).
Wyandotte Roosevelt High School Music Scholarship Fund
benefits (March 2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006).
• Wyandotte Goodfellows "No Child Without A Christmas" fund
benefits (November 2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008).
• A benefit for Saline High School's "Fiddlers ReStrung"program (March 2008-April 2009).